Sunday, October 05, 2008

1137 - Son of Rambow

I had been looking forward to this film, but in the end it was just OK. There's a central plot point early on that I just can't get past. It doesn't spoil anything for me to give it away so here goes. William, one of the two boys above, is part of some kind of religious sect, a brotherhood, but he's sent to a regular school, none of the other from the sect are apparently sent there. It doesn't make sense other than giving them a reason for the two children to meet. To me it's just weak and it bogs the whole film down.
It's not a horrible film by any means, but I just didn't get that childhood sense of joy that I expect from this kind of film. I didn't really latch on to the characters in a meaningful way. It's kind of a rainy afternoon film. I don't recommend it, nor do I think it should be avoided.

No comments: