Friday, May 22, 2009

1228 - Observe & Report


I remember seeing the unrated trailer and looking forward to this film. It's... well... I mean it's intended to shock and offend you, so let's deal with that - it does shock, and I'm sure it does offend. But the problem is that it's so busy doing that that it never tries to get you to actually like any of the characters, minus one (Collette Wolfe, far too pretty for the role, but damn if you don't fall in love with her - she's fantastic and I look forward to seeing more of her).
It's essentially Taxi Driver in a mall, which is interesting enough as a concept. It doesn't try to be a cliched film where we see Ronnie get better and improv, and maybe that's to it's fault. At least Rogen takes on the role full force and never detracts.
It's a bit of a mess, but I wouldn't say avoid it. Enough moments to make it worth checking out.

No comments: