Saturday, November 08, 2008

1155 - Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist


The more I think about this film the more it grows on me. The first half of it is... odd. It was hard to tell if Cera and Dennings just had no chemistry, or the point was that they were just missing how good they should be for each other. I have to assume that latter because when the film finally starts working, it works well. A pointless subplot about her drunken friend that only serves to chew up screen time detracts only a little. Perhaps it's unfair to say it's pointless, I'm sure it's meant to illustrate something in Norah's character, it's just too bad we don't give two figs about her friend. Cera, as a heart-broken teen, gives his least enthusiastic performance, which doesn't mean to say he's bad, he never is, but he's just kind of there. The film has a great closing line, which I won't ruin here. It's cute for sure. Worth a rental.

No comments: