Sunday, November 30, 2008

1166 - City Lights


I hate to admit this, being the cinema lover that I am, but I think this is the first Chaplin film I've ever seen in it's entire length. What a shit I am. Better late than never though. What a treat of a film. I don't know much about the content in this era of cinema, but I do know the history, and it's amazing that this film made it out as a silent film, although Chaplin makes excellent use of sound. Each sequence is really quite clever and has a lovely beginning, middle, and end. The boxing scene is a lot of fun. Just the way that the ups and downs work. You really feel horrible when he loses the boxing match. And then when the millionaire once again forgets who he is, especially after he's given him the money to help the girl. It's official, I need to watch more of his films. Great story, real smart and clever laughs. Great film.

No comments: