Monday, February 16, 2009

1206 - Happy-Go-Lucky


I remember having seen a trailer for this quite awhile back, and having quite enjoyed Vera Drake, I was looking forward to Leigh's newest film, especially when the trailer delighted me as much as it did. Now let's start off just by saying that Sally Hawkins is fantastic here. Really delightful, lovable. You wish that there was a little bit of her in everyone you know. But how on earth this film got a screenplay nomination is beyond me. Outside of having some nice little moments and scenes, there's no real story going on here at all. It's kind of bland. Poppy is a fantastic character but she's got nowhere to go and not much to do. That being said, it's a film worth watching on a rainy afternoon at home for sure, but don't race to the theatre. It's just okay. I was expecting to leave the theatre overwhelmed with delight. Not so much.

No comments: