Saturday, November 21, 2009

1288 - Bruno


First off, I can't imagine even trying to make this film in the wake that was Borat. The mass success, plus the exposure that Cohen got would have made it difficult to film given how he works, not to mention the expectations. The project was, somewhat, doomed from the start.

I have to say though, this film picked up a bit in the middle. And there's some wonderful and disturbing stuff in here, particularly regarding what some parents will allow their kids to go through in an effort to get a gig. I'd go into specifics but I wouldn't want to rob you of the jaw-dropping experience.

Hit or miss, no one has bigger balls than Cohen for the situations he'll put himself into for the pure exploitation of human nature.

This film isn't firing on all cylinders, but there's enough here to make it worth the watch. Bruno was always my favorite character of Cohen's and so I expected more, but understand the circumstances he was under. It could have been a hell of a lot worse.

No comments: