Sunday, June 01, 2008

1065 - Bandits


I came about watching this film tonight for two reasons:
1) My wife wanted to watch something 'fun' and this was the first thing I could think of because of...
2) 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' has been stuck in my head for weeks, and I can't think of that song without thinking of Cate Blanchett in this film.
This film is a lot of fun, and when it's working it's really working. It has one of my favorite Billy-Bob Thorton performances. He doesn't get enough credit for being as versatile as he is. Just watch this film, then Sling-Blade, than Monster's Ball and you'll see exactly what a gem he is.
This film has an almost perfect beginning and end but it has a horrible lull in the middle that, doesn't quite kill it, but keeps it from being the amazing film that it started out to be. That and there's a few logic holes that really really bother me, but I can let it by. The film is smart and lighthearted with a good plot to carry along the story of these misfit bandits.

No comments: