Sunday, June 01, 2008

1064 - A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints


This has got to be the first auto-docu-drama I know to exist. I suppose that Adaptation and The Kid Stays in the Picture count, but they didn't direct the stories as well. I wanted to see this film based on the trailer that I'd seen some time ago. The performances looked amazing and I'm a fan of both Shia and Downey Jr. The story in and of itself, while amazing, isn't anything ground breaking. Dito (the filmmaker) does these little moments where the characters introduce themselves and tell you what they think about themselves. I actually kind of liked it, not sure if it fell in the right place in the film, but it was an interesting choice that I think worked on some level. There's a few other techniques that he used such as throwing excerpts of dialogue up on the screen, which I don't think worked.
We all know this story. Kid grows up on the wrong side of town, runs away only to have to face the demons of his past some day. Like I said, I know it's a true story, which is part of what makes it a cliche. The story itself, while specific to a unique individual, is just OK. The performances and character interaction is what makes this film more interesting.
I think it's worth a rental if you're into these actors. Rosario Dawson, who I don't really have a strong feeling for or against, is really great here, even if it is a little much to expect the audience to believe that her and Robert Downey Jr. are around the same age. Check it out if you like these kind of pseudo-coming-of-age-growing-up-on-the-rough-side-of-new-york stories, if not, don't bother.

No comments: