Sunday, June 08, 2008

1067 - The Oh in Ohio


I was blown away by how much I liked this movie. I was honestly just expecting to like it, but it's a great great little film. It's a sex comedy that's about.... wait for it... sex. Not in the way other films like to pretend that they are about sex. This one actually deals with some sexual issues, but in a very light, but enjoyable way.
The cast is stellar. Paul Rudd, whom I always like, is really great here as a biology teacher in need of a shake up, and then finds a student who wants to 'save him'.
Danny DeVito has this great part as an unlikely love interest who I dare women not to fall in love with. I've always like him, and he's a charming little bastard here. Hell, if I was a woman, I'd 'swim in his pool'.
And then there's Parker Posey, who is just great in almost everything she does, but brings a real human element to moments that could just go way over the top. She knows when to go for it and when to hold back.
The highlight of this film though is the story. It's really smart and well crafted. It's engaging and keeps you going. I highly recommend it. There feels like there's a scene missing from one of the sub-plot stories, but other than that it's practically a perfect little film. Liked it a lot.

No comments: