Friday, March 25, 2011

1539 - Exit Through the Gift Shop

I've been wanting to see this film for ages, so imagine my surprise when I saw it added to netflix!  There's been some speculation as to whether or not this film is a hoax - I think people want it to be because how could it be so good otherwise?  In truth, I constantly wondered how this guy was supporting himself and a family through all of this - did he come from money?  It's never really explained, and I'd imagine most people don't care.  For me the film was interesting, watching these people do interesting things - seeing the process, etc... but I never really got a sense of why they were doing it - what it meant to the, etc...   He follows these guys around to have a collection of tapes with famous street artists - but yet he does nothing with it - he doesn't try to get into their heads - he just likes to hang around people more creative than he is.  The film really gathers steam in its second half when Banksy tells him to go off and make something of all the footage he's made and he comes back with an unwatchable mess - at which point Banksy takes over and then sends him off to go and be an artist himself - and what happens from that point on is pretty awesome - and that's the stuff where you can't help but wonder if this is just an elaborate prank to make a statement about the art world.  I mean, the film makes a statement (in a lovely subtle way) anyway - so there's that.
I quite enjoyed it and was excited that it ended up on netflix so quickly.  It's a nice little piece.  Check it out if you're apt to.
Exit Through the Gift Shop  Exit Through the Gift Shop [Blu-ray]

No comments: