Sunday, March 27, 2011

1540 - Chi Girl

Found this randomly on netflix - and I have to be honest in that it wasn't one of my better discoveries.  I remembered the name of the filmmaker Heidi Van Lier from her interview/blog series with Indie Film. 
I really really liked this film at the start - it intrigued my quite a bit and I liked the style, but it didn't take long for it to start to become a bit tiresome.  It's full of a lot of really great ideas but the problem is that there is little to no subtext to bring them into the film - people are often speaking about exactly what they think about in an annoying fashion that borders along the pretentious.  It probably would have been a bit easier to follow if they'd of lost the V.O. with Randy, the filmmaker which is pretty heavy handed. 
As an actress I quite like Heidi Van Lier's presence, the way that she carries herself amidst it all.  I think this film has an interesting premise - that of a girl who believes that all men want it sex, and she so heads out to prove it with a cameraman in tow.  As it progresses, the camera man becomes obsessed and the camera begins to stalk her (with a REALLY annoying voice over)
For those into the art cinema, you may find something in here that you like - but for those who prefer to dwell within the borders of the mainstream this probably isn't even close to something you'd enjoy.

No comments: