Saturday, March 19, 2011

TIFF - The Tim Burton Exhibit

So it's been a little while since I've posted anything (I know, less than a week is "a while" for me who likes to cram my brain with stories and then spit out my thoughts back to you, loyal reader).  But I promise that the time has been well spent doing some (hopefully) pretty decent writing. 
So today my lovely wife and I decided to take in the Tim Burton exhibit at the Bell Lightbox (for those Torontonians it's only on for another month or so...)  I'm not in love with all of Burton's work - there are a few pieces that I actually dislike (I'm looking at you, Big Fish).  But walking around the exhibit I realized that I am a Tim Burton fan.  I've seen all of his films (excluding Alice - which is on my pile), and the man is endlessly inventive.  It's amazing just how much stuff has been kept of his throughout his career, and the way that the exhibit is laid out is really lovely and creates a nice flow.  There's lots of great stuff - his personal artwork, sketches upon sketches of designs for his work - notes between himself and other collaborators.  Just some really great stuff.  It's the kind of attention to detail that makes you envious, but at the same time makes you realize why this man has made the career that he has.  He's a perfectionist and an artist.  He's worth celebrating, and this exhibit does it well. 
If you're even a casual Tim Burton, or into alternative art gallery exhibits, you'll probably enjoy this.  And do yourself a favour and check out the fourth floor as well - they've got a really nice Mary Pickford exhibit - she's a fascinating person.  And if you've got the time to take in a film their cinemas are a pretty damn great place to watch one.

3 comments:

Screenwriting Spinster said...

I liked reading his grammatical mistakes. I went to the exhibit when they had a free weekend. My friend and I loved it! I have yet to see the Pickford one, but I really want to. My MFA thesis was a play based on her life :) I've just never really gone back to rewrite it and make something out of it.

Jeremy said...

The Pickford exhibit is pretty short and sweet but it gives you a nice overview. I want to do some more research, but I think that there's really something in her story that would make a great film. She was one of the first movie stars.

Screenwriting Spinster said...

her family life is full of chaos and turmoil. Lots of alcoholism. Dad's death. Brother's death. Sister's death etc. Her mother was a tough cookie too. She also had a chaotic marriage to Douglas Fairbanks Sr. There were rumors she also had an abortion. Lots of stuff!