Monday, April 22, 2013

1833 - Molly Maxwell


I will preface this by saying that this is my second time seeing this film and that I'm a friend of the film's director.  So take that for what you will.
I like this film a lot.  Coming-of-age stories done well will always be in demand.  Coupled with this you've got the relationship between a teacher and their student, and what's so refreshing in Sara's film is that it never feels like she's passing judgement on either character.  Is what they're doing right or wrong - well that's up for you to decide.  This is a film that truly 'gets' teenagers and feels more authentic in that regard than most things you'll find in a multiplex.  If you have a chance it's playing at the Carleton cinema right now - see it while it's still there!  The film is beautiful to look at and so well crafted.  Sara St. Onge has made a little gem of a film and I can't wait to see what she does next.

No comments: