Friday, May 03, 2013

1835 - Garden State

I haven't revisited this film in a long time and I did, I'm sure like many this week, on the cusp of Zach Braff's crowd funding campaign for his new film WISH I WAS HERE.  This film has a cult following and there's no surprise why - it's charming, full, sweet, and full of heart.  If I could make one change in this film it would simply be not to make Zach's character a struggling actor.  Outside a running-gag it just feels to me like a story that in infinitely more relatable if he's more of an everyman.  But there's not much to be done about that at this point.
This is likely one of the films that helped coin the term Manic Pixie Dreamgirl, but I could care less since Natalie Portman is so damn adorable here.  If you watch this and don't fall for her, you're dead inside.  That's right.  I said it.  The film has a killer soundtrack, and Big Bang Theory fans keep an eye out for Jim Parsons - if you remember the film but haven't seen it for a while, he's the knight.  (RIGHT?!)

Zach Braff has been taking some shit for raising money to make his film on Kickstarter, but I really don't understand why.  I can see the complaint that places are like that are for people who can't raise money traditionally - but I'd argue that we have no idea what Zach's situation is - sure he made a cult film - but that was almost ten years ago. (I know… sep).  Also, celebrities like he and the Vermonica Mars people attract new people to websites like that, those of whom might not had went there in they first place.  Indie filmmaking is the wild west, and if you can tap into a fan base to raise your money, then right there you've got proof that yours is a film people want to see.

If you haven't seen Garden State, it's absolutely worth checking out.  I don't praise it to the mountains like some do, but I do love it.   

No comments: