Sunday, June 28, 2009

1241 - Fred Claus


I'm trying to make it a habit of watching more high-concept studio comedies as that's the area my writing partner and I are focusing more and more. I was pleasantly surprised by this. I'm a big fan of Vince Vaughn. I think this film hits the structure points really well and has fun while doing it. There's some clever bits with the acid-reflux comment, and just general amusingness. I can go either way on Paul Giamati and here he was enjoyable. Kevin Spacey was quite entertaining as well, and he has a really brilliant monologue about growing in the shadow of greatness. Talk about a brilliant metaphor for the film. If anything, I thought that perhaps Fred could be a little more of an ass, but I suppose they were trying to keep it light. Elizabeth Banks has a small part - which is too bad. She's wonderful and believes all the fame that I'm sure if coming her way. As a Christmas flick (that I watched in the summer - I know, I know) it was just okay, didn't hit that feel-good spot. As a comedy, it did it's job.

No comments: