Monday, August 31, 2009

TUWOPS: Day Seven

Today was a short day and I wasn’t able to grab any stills, however instead I’m offering something a little different. An image from the church of the flying spaghetti monster. An image that we used in the film today, courtesy of Carlos Diaz.

So today was actually a pretty light day in terms of locations and set-ups, however because we were shooting a portion of the film’s end there had to be extra special focus to make sure that we were hitting the right notes and tone. As I mentioned above, along for the ride was Carlos Diaz, playing a film editor. I met Carlos a few months ago on a feature that I was doing some work on as an editor myself, Carlos was the lead. I knew right away that I’d want to put him in something of mine some day. Thankfully I was able to make good on that sooner rather than later. Carlos is the kind of actor you want to be in your film. He’s a cheerleader. A champion. He’s the guy that when he hears you need extras, he calls all of his friends. He’s the kind of guy that, despite being a well known commodity, gets excited about a one-day-role to the point where he confers on the set dressing for his scene. Not ‘cause he’s an anal bastard – just because he’s that into it. Carlos really really wanted to have a poster of the flying spaghetti monster in “his” edit suite, to the point where he actually got in touch with the company and cleared the right to shoot it for us. Every person we’ve cast in this film is amazing and sweet and wonderful. No established actor does a film for less than scale for any reason other than passion – and our entire cast has that in spades. It’s what you want when you go into this kind of film. Hell, it’s what you need.

So tomorrow’s a big day both in terms of pages we’re shooting and just the emotional requirements. I think we’re up for it and I’m excited to work through it. Tomorrow also pushes us into the halfway point of the film.

And also, there’s some special guest appearances tomorrow…

No comments: