Tuesday, June 29, 2010

It's a Bird


This is another example of a book that I never would have picked up on my own, so many thanks to the generous Mr. McLaren, for again bringing uber-geek into my world. What Steven T. Seagle does here is nothing short of poetic. Sure, it's the cliche of a writer writing about writing, but iconically, it's about a writer having writer's block about trying to come up with a story idea for one of the most iconic characters of all time: Superman. And he's having a hard time because he can't relate to Superman, which, ironically, is something that I think a lot of people can relate to.
So what we get is a very personal story intertwined with a brainstorm on what makes Superman work for various people. The legion of theories that he throws out are really quick amazing and intelligent, and in the end, it's something simple. I'm not quite sure it works for me in relating to Superman, but that's just fine. I think that's part of the beauty of the book is it shows how different things mean something different to different people. That's what storytelling is all about. This is an absolute must read for any fan of Superman, comics, or the art of storytelling in general.

No comments: