Friday, April 13, 2012

1714 - Up All Night: season one





Being a parent of two little kids, this is the kind of show that my wife and I are programmed to love.  And I think that it's actually probably my wife's favorite new show.  I like it quite a bit.  I think that Christina Applegate and Will Arnett are pretty damn adorable.  I have to admit that given the roles that Arnett has been popular for in the past it took a little while for me to warm up to him on the show.  I've always enjoyed him, but he's always been larger than life and so it was hard to accept him as someone grounded in the somewhat real-world, but he is quite good here.  Two issues that I have with this show at this point are that:
1) For a show about people trying to adjust to life as parents - they don't really have the kid in the show all that much.  TV is famous for ignoring the kid characters, but on a show like this you'd think they've be a little better about it.
2) Maya Rudolph.  Now STOP RIGHT THERE.  I adore Maya Rudolph and I think she's grand, but her character is such a cartoon character and seems out of balance with the rest of the cast in a lot of ways.  She feels like a giant satire on a bunch of people, and yet our leads feel a bit more grounded.  Don't get me wrong, it works despite that, but it's a bizarre choice. 
I think it's a good show that could be great in time.  Parents of small children you should be able to relate and enjoy much of this!

No comments: