Thursday, April 19, 2012

1715 - Captain America: The First Avenger

I had to finally see this before Avengers launches into theatres in a few weeks.  I'm not sure why I missed this when it first came out.  It's a fun adventure flick and it hits all the right notes.  As much as it's a superhero film, it never felt like it was gimmicky or shlock - which it easily could have been.  I like how it lampooned the iconic image a bit.  I love how this one, more than any of the other Marvel Studios films, felt really integrated into the rest of that world. 
I guess my only thought on this is I'm not sure what a sequel to this film would be… It's hard to think of a better foe for him than Red Skull - the next logical step is The Avengers, but how do you continue the franchise after that… will be interesting to see what they've got up their sleeves. 
So far I've been pretty impressed by the lead up to the Avengers with this, Thor, and the Iron Man films (does the latest Hulk film count?  Is that just a re-casting - or are they rethinking the backstory as well?).  I'll do my best to be there opening weekend.  The comic nerd in me is kind of excited.

No comments: