Friday, April 27, 2012

1719 - The Job

A review I read of this film said that it was like The Apprentice on steroids.  I assumed that meant in a stylistic and energy way.  That it was not.  In terms of how cruel they are to the participants, that might be the case.
The documentary follows a group of candidates for a job over the course of two days as they are tested and ripped apart by a recruitment group.  Apparently this is not an uncommon thing these days.  Thank the sweet lord that I work in the arts.
I liked some bits in this film as there was some wonderful harsh comments, and I'm always a fan of that.  But the biggest problem is that the film never gives you a reason to root or care for any of these people.  You're not even sure what the job is or if it's worth it for these people to go through hell to get.  Visually it's about as boring as a film can be and it takes place, almost entirely, inside a conference room. 
The fact that this film is a feature is pretty bold.  I think it could have made a pretty effective 20 minute short.  It has a few more screenings at the festival, but I have a hard time recommending it.  Like I said, I find some of it quite interesting, but on the whole it was a bit of a chore to sit through.

No comments: