Thursday, August 07, 2008

1096 - Pineapple Express


I just want to start off by saying that no one wanted to like this film more than I did. I love the shit out of the trailer and I'm a fan of almost-all-things-Apatow. You knew they had to make a stinker eventually. That stinker has a name, and the name is Pineapple Express. Is it funny? Of course, there's some really great parts to it. Could have it been a lot funnier? Shit yes. And I don't normally do this, but I'm blaming the director on this. Having never seen anything of David Gordon Green's other pieces I have to be honest in saying that to begin with, it just feels and looks flat. The camera work is lazy and just doesn't feel exciting in any way shape or form. In terms of the action sequences, it feels like a student film director shot them. Besides that the actors seem to have far too much reign. There's just some really horrible things that can only come from the product of bad improvising and probably editing while high. I can only hope some of the "let's keep that" decisions weren't done sober.
Seth and Franco are really great, let's not rock on them, the material itself, I believe is fine. I think with a director better suited to the material this film could have worked, but I just think Green was over his head and became part of a well oiled machine and had no idea how to run it. The film fails because of it's execution. It's a shame. I'm by no means going to turn away from the Apatow camp, however I won't be able to recommend this like I wanted to :(.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow Jeremy! I was really getting excited about seeing this one! Since you're an all things Apatow fan, it means something that you can't recommend it. You really don't think the funny parts are worth going out to see it with some friends out for some laughs? Thanks for the review!