Friday, August 01, 2008

1092 - Before the Devil Knows You're Dead


I wanted to see this last year at TIFF and then never got around to it when it was in the theaters. I'm a fan of all the actors involved, and am of the mindset that Maria Tomei is widely underused. She's more than just beautiful. She's radiant. The fractured style of this story works quite well as we get to see the motivations and perspectives at different times and for different reasons. I think that it helps to distract from a pretty simple narrative by making it more complex just through the telling. That in and of itself is a powerful choice in storytelling and it serves the film well. The stakes in this film keep rising and it works really well to the point where you wonder just how the hell they'll get out of it, or if they possibly can. I'm trying to watch heist films, etc... in preparation for something I'm working on, but I don't think this quite worked. Oh well, still worth watching :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Jeremy! I just loved this movie! I thought there were so many surprises and the tension was so thick and juicy that it kept me on the edge all the way through! I think all the actors gave powerful performances. I went in without knowing hardly anything about the story and it really got me.

Love all your movie reviews!