Friday, August 15, 2008

1102 - Vicky Cristina Barcelona


Allow me to state my bias up front. Anyone that knows me know that I love Woody Allen. That being said I don't think he's above criticism for some of his work. And some are far better than others. Of his forty odd films that he's made I re-watch or reference at least half of them on a semi-regular basis, and some of the others every few years. There's maybe three or four that I'll probably never see again.
The cast is this film is amazing. Where the hell Rebecca Hall came from I don't know, but she's really fantastic. She feels real and I was intrigued by her character so much more than I thought I would be. There is a narration to this film that takes a while to get used to, but once you're in, you're golden. Scarlett is wonderful as usual in Woody's films, and I love that she lets herself play the character that she does here. No ego whatsoever. Of course the film belongs to Bardem and Cruz as a divorced couple that just can't get over one another. Their scenes are worth watching the film for alone.
There's a brilliantly comedic moment with Bardem's father, explaining the reasons he's not a poet that just killed me. I laughed for at least a minute.
I have so much more I could say about this, but I'd rather just encourage you to go. If you like Woody at all, it's worth the price of admission.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Jeremy! I'm AngelB -- a newbie on TS and I had to come read your blog! I also love Woody Allen ---Annie Hall and Manhattan are my all time faves -- and I can't wait to see this one! Thanks for the good review from a true Woody Allen fan :) Woohoo!