Sunday, September 27, 2009

1266 – Be Kind Rewind


I’m of two very different minds when it comes to Michele Gondry. On one hand I think he’s a genius, truly. On the other hand, I think he works best when collaborating with another writer. Someone to transcribe the brilliance and make it manageable. I’m not saying he should be watered down, I’m just saying that… I find his solo projects to be a little less enjoyable than the ones we saw him do with Kaufman.

I’m sure that this film is meant to be goofy, and light and heartwarming. I just felt that it took a long time to get to a point that wasn’t hard to come to in the first place. If I’m to be terribly cruel about it, I think Gondry is a better filmmaker than this. It’s Gondry-lite. If you’re an uber-Jack Black fan, go for it, otherwise I’m not sure how enthusiastically I can recommend this. Kind of makes me sad to say that…

No comments: