Sunday, December 27, 2009

1297 - Scrooged


Every year I like to watch a Christmas film or two to get into the spirit. More often than not it's Muppet's Christmas Carole, but I only have it on VHS and since we always come up to the farm for the holidays, unless I watch it before hand it never works out. For those who don't know, my mother died just before Christmas when I was a teenager, and for many years the Muppet film was the only thing that got me into the holiday spirit. I've gotten past that now, but I still look forward to showing that film to Ephraim when he's old enough. The same goes with this film.

Every year I intend to watch this film and then get annoyed when I realize that I don't actually own it. So I made a special point today of picking up a copy. It's the same old story we all know, but it's just so damn entertaining. It's definitely a product of the eighties, it SCREAMS eighties at certain points, but that being said it's still very watchable and without-a-doubt a Christmas classic. Bill Murray is stellar here. His career around this time was quite the thing. You've got your Ghostbusters, in another half-decade Groundhog Day. His people knew how to find solid projects for him.

So if you've never see this film chances are by the time you read this (I'm writing on Christmas Eve, but probably won't post till several days after) it'll be past Christmas Day, and I can't imagine you'll watch this until next holiday season - however, it's definitely one of those films you have to see. It might not be as funny now as it was back then, but it's still a fun little ride..

No comments: