Monday, December 28, 2009

1299 - Paper Heart


Another film I wanted to check out when it was in theatres. Hell I wanted to check this film out the absolute second I heard about it because I had an immense amount of fear that it was identical to the feature I directed this summer. So, a sigh of relief, it's all fine. There's some similarities, sure - but they're different films through and through. This really is a lovely film. There's some real honest documentary sections with some fantastic home-made recreations. The B-Story relationship stuff feels a little bit fabricated, 'cause it is, but the moments feel real enough, and the moments they choose to make are pretty interesting and inspired. I feel like it's real even if I know that the moment is not. Does that make any sense whatsoever?
I'll be interested to see what Jasenovec does after this as he seems to have some chops going on here. The guy playing Nick was fantastic, and that was some of the best parts of the film, watching someone struggle between getting the good stuff and letting their friend be.
Strongly recommend checking it out if you're at all interested. It's not your typical romantic comedy by any means, but it's a nice little piece and I think it'll put a smile on your face.

No comments: