Tuesday, August 24, 2010

1385 - She's Out of My League


This is your pretty standard boy-meets-girl rom-com. It plays the beats by the numbers, but for my money, it does it really well. There are no shortage of underdog-love stories out there, but I think this one was fresh enough. Yes, they fill the supporting cast with the quirky out-spoken characters, allowing our leads to be more "normal", but what can I say, it worked for me. I liked that both of these people had issues that they needed to work on, and I bought it. Alice Eve is gorgeous, and not just because she looks like a young Nicole Kidman. She's got a fantastic smile, and she's got a great energy, extremily lovable. She's easy on the eyes, sure, but she creeps into your heart for reasons beyond that. She is the girl of your dreams, but I don't doubt for a second that she's grounded enough to be with a "normal" guy. And then there's Jay Baruchel. If you've read this blog it's no secret that I think Baruchel is fantastic. This guy is incapable of a dishonest moment. I will watch anything that he is in because he transforms any material into top notch stuff. He's that good.
So I don't think this is the kind of film you need to rush out to see, but if you like rom-coms I think it's a really enjoyable one, the leads are enjoyable to spend time with and the writing is quite lovely. Do check it out!

No comments: