Wednesday, November 30, 2011

1647 - Pirate Radio (The Boat That Rocked)

The trailer for this really intrigued me, besides being a who's who if British film actors it's also a pretty interesting topic - 1960's Britain had banned rock and roll from their radio stations and so people like this set up pirate radio as a legal way to broadcast the music of choice to the masses.  This is the story of those people and how an uptight politician tries to destroy them.
The film is enjoyable enough, it's got great cast and they all fit well together.  I suppose my biggest critique is that I'm not sure the motivations of anyone.  I never get a real sense of why this music was seen as so harmful or why this politician has such a bee in his bonnet about it.  Why doing this was so important to either side... I wanted to care - all of the filmic ingredients were there, but I just didn't know why I should and so, ultimately, I didn't...
This was a good film that could have been a great one if they added a bit more heart and grounded us in something a little firmer.  Great soundtrack.  It's hard to know if to recommend this at all - my suggestion is to check out the trailer and if it grabs you, chances are you'll dig the film as well.

No comments: