Saturday, February 18, 2012

1697 - Forks Over Knives

Full Disclosure: for the last five years I've been a pescatarian (which is essentially a vegetarian that still eats fish).  So a film like this is largely preaching to the choir.  Although we still eat animal bi-products in our home.
I know that one of the most asked question I always get it "well where do you get your protein" which just goes so to show you how well or society has done at brainwashing people into thinking that the only true source of protein is animal protein.  Same as calcium and dairy products.  As one person in this film remarks - the continual focus on people eating animal based foods has more to do with protecting the status quo of industry than it has to do with protecting people and their health.
This film gives off a lot of information and shows several people that are in poor medical conditions overcome their issues through simply changing their diet.  You could argue that this is a case-by-case basis, but I'd love to see the documentary that shows that negative aspects of giving up the consumption of animal proteins. 
Food is something that's super important to my wife and I, especially now that we've got kids, and we spend a lot of time thinking about what's best for us.  I in particular come from a background that never put a lot of thought into the health of food and so being with someone who does has literally changed my life.  I've easily lost over a hundred pounds of weight since I've been with my now-wife, and it's no exaggeration to say that I'm sure she's saved my life in some ways (or at least extended it!)
The hardest thing for me to give up would be eggs.  I love eggs for breakfast.  I think I can easily give up on milk since I really only eat it on cereal and almond milk is a fine substitute.  I eat very minimal amounts of cheese.  Fish is maybe once a week, usually only once or twice a month.  I need to read more about fish protein, although I suspect it's still the best of them health wise. 
So this is turning into me telling you how I eat and you probably don't give a damn :) 
What people put into their bodies is a huge topic, and it's a personal one, and I think it upsets a lot of people when you try to tell them that they should change.  I never try and convert anyone, but I'm more than willing to talk when people have questions. 
For me the decision is a personal one that I think makes the planet a better place in a lot of ways.  But I don't condemn anyone else for their choices so long as they are informed.  And that's the difference.  Eat whatever you want to eat, but you owe it to yourself to know what food's relationship is to your body.

No comments: