Tuesday, February 12, 2013

1806 - Boyz in the Hood

So I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that I've never seen this film before.  I remember the box in the video store when I was a kid, and I was always too young to rent it, and the main reason I watched it now is because I'm going to a talk tonight with John Singleton at TIFF.  It's amazing to think that Singleton was twenty-four years old when he made this film.  It's a goddamn amazing achievement.  The performances he got out of everyone is nothing short of amazing.  You feel like you're a part of this world and you fear for these poor bastards 'cause you know that no matter how bad it gets, it's never going to be great for them.  As bizarre at this sounds it feels like Stand By Me for black kids, especially the beginning and ending - the use of music, etc... This is a truly great film and if you missed it like I did - it's on netflix now.  It's solid through and through.

No comments: