Thursday, February 14, 2013

1808 - I Could Never Be You Woman


It's always quite amazing when Hollywood casts someone like Michelle Pfeiffer to play a television show runner, and especially make us believe that she's out of her league in dating a younger man.  Let's cut the shit - Pfeiffer will be a smoking hot number at any age.  But whatever, I'll take it - I'll buy into your premise because I love Amy Heckerling and I adore the shit out of Paul Rudd.  If I'd picked this up randomly the Tracy Uhlman mother-nature rant that opens the film might have completely turned me off, but I stuck with it.
This film works because the cast pops.  Pfeiffer and Rudd are a solid pairing - and Saoirse Ronan is a goddamn scene stealer if ever there was one.  She's fantastic in every scene she's in, but the music parody bits are truly sensational.  Looking forward to seeking out more of her stuff. 
If I'm not giving it a glowing review is because it feels like they wanted this thing to be a big satire and take the piss out of society, but in truth only kind of went about it in a half-ass way.  Don't get me wrong, there's a lot to like about this flick, but it's not Heckerling's best.  I liked it, I just didn't love it.  But please judge for yourself - netflix it up!

No comments: