Saturday, September 14, 2013

1899 - Hateship Loveship


All I knew about this film going in was that someone I knew liked it, and who was in the cast.  That's another beauty of just seeing a bunch of films in a festival - often you get to go in fresh to the story and world - and it's so rare these days that you get to experience a world that way.
It's the story of a sheltered young woman played by Kristen Wiig, who is fucking wonderful here.  Her subtle smile that creeps through the whole thing is so beautiful and you just want to wrap your arms around her.  What I loved most about this was that I legitimately had no idea where the story was headed, and in a very good way I was just along for the ride.  It's a film about a caregiver and a bunch of other people who have to learn to take care of themselves.  I don't want to ruin any details of this lovely little film - but if you like strong, heartfelt character pieces - this is a must-see.

No comments: