Friday, July 17, 2009

TUWOPS: Slowly But Surely

It’s been awhile since I updated. Sadly we didn’t make as much progress this week as I would have liked. A misunderstanding with the actor’s union caused us to have to delay our first round of auditions, which was completely and utterly heart wrenching, especially after having seen who our casting directors had lined up for us to see. All I can do is hope that the same actors are available when we resume, which should be shortly.

In lieu of that I’ve been doing some preliminary location scouting. We’re getting a great deal of our locations already for free, or very cheap, so there’s only a few that we really need to secure. Bookstore(s), film set (in a studio), Pool Hall, Some houses, and a loft. The nice thing about living in a city like Toronto is that there’s no shortage of great locations to shoot at – which is helpful when you need to group locations together on specific days.

Starting next week I should be able to get some work started with our production designer. One of our characters is an author, and another a filmmaker so we need to make some books and posters, or at least start designing them since the finished product might take awhile to make. The one big plus I have going into this feature is that the key crew is made up of people I’ve been working with for some time now, in the case of my D.O.P. it’s nearing on ten years. He and I spent years doing documentaries together and he’s shot everything I’ve ever directed (except my shorts I made while in film school). The last piece I made with this team can be seen by clicking the following link: Hoff's New Direction

Hope you enjoy the film. Looking forward to reporting more progress ASAP. If there’s anything specific you’d like to know feel free to ask questions in the comments and I’d be more than happy to answer anything that I’m able to!

No comments: