Monday, February 01, 2010

The Great DVD Purchase of February 2010

So I'm working late with my story editor and friend, Scott McLaren, when he leaves for home and I finish up working. I'm literally on my way out of my edit suite when my phone rings. And I didn't know it at the time, but it was going to end up being an expensive phone call.

Every now and then, as a geek, you get rare opportunities to expand your library. So the call that Scott made was to tell me that the Blockbuster at Queen/Spadina has a going-out-of-business sale on that just started today. And everything is $6.99 (with a few exceptions).

So yeah. I raced over.

Now by the time I got there it'd be pretty picked over, despite the fact that the sale had just started that day. The guy behind the counter told us that they were staying open till the end of the month - I can't imagine that their stock will last the week. Seriously, unless you're looking for a copy of the new releases I'd get there tomorrow. If I'm honest, it's probably already too late to find anything great. I found a wonderfully random mix of things that are a combination of films that I've always meant to see, but never have, films I'm upgrading from VHS, films I love that I didn't own, and ones that were a STRONG recommend from Scott.

And so, the list:

GERRY - Made a lot of this decades top ten lists, so my interested is re-piqued.

BEHIND THE MASK - Strong recommend.

BUTCH CASSIDY & THE SUNDANCE KID - Never seen. I know. I'm on it.

MEAN GIRLS - Previously owned, leant out, never returned - love it.

GALAXY QUEST - Never seen, always meant to.

MONTY PYTHON & THE HOLY GRAIL - Didn't own it.

THE JERK - Didn't own it.

BULL DURHAM - Never seen it, strong recommend.

DOGMA: SPECIAL EDITION - Upgrade.

4 Months, 3 Weeks & 2 Days - Recommend

ALL THE REAL GIRLS - Always been interested

CROUPIER - Strong recommend.

So that's that, I dropped a small fortune (not really actually considering I walked away with over a dozen films) and far less than Scott dropped, although to be fair he picked up some television seasons.

So who knows when the hell I'm going to watch any of these. I've got a stupid big pile of stuff to watch. The re-edit is nearing completion and so once that's done my nights are a little more free - I'm going to try and do a marathon of a film a night for as often as I can to catch up on my movie watching.

So there's that - if you're feeling lucky get to that Blockbuster ASAP.

No comments: