Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Walking Dead - Vol 14: No Way Out

Waiting on a series like this sucks.  Especially when you get the new book and you whip through it :)  Luckily I picked it up on my way to the airport, so I may even give it another read while I'm off on my trip. 
As it is with most of the series stuff I blog about, if you don't want to know what happens, stop right here.  If you want to know if it's worth reading - yes. 

For the last few volumes Rick and company have found what looks to be the perfect place for them, a gated community with walls up to keep the dead out.  But the last volume ended with a small skirmish involving gunfire, which we all know at this point is like a net for picking up zombies to come your way - and come our way they did!  After a few tamer volumes this one comes back kicking and doesn't take any prisoners.  I truly believe that the only one safe in this world is Rick - and I'm not even sure if I believe that anymore.  What's really lovely about this particular story arc is what happens to Rick emotionally because of it, and how he comes out of it with a new lease on life and their situation.  It's a breath of fresh air and I really can't wait to see what is done with it.  Kirkman once again pulled the wind out of my sails in that massive panel where we see what looks like half of Carl's face blown off.  What surprised me even more is that it might not have killed him.  But in a series where the main character lost a hand about ten volumes ago, it shouldn't be that surprising for another to walk around with part of their head missing.
The love fest for this continues, just hope that it's television counter-part can get itself into shape as well.
The Walking Dead Volume 14: No Way Out TP

No comments: