Tuesday, November 29, 2011

1646 - Woody Allen: A Documentary (PBS American Masters)

Anyone that knows me creatively knows that Woody Allen is my largest inspiration.  I've seen absolutely everything he's been involved in and I've read a lot of stuff on him, so there was a lot in here that I was already aware of - however the way that Robert B. Weide captures him and his work here is probably one of the best tributes that you can give the man.  It doesn't pull punches, it doesn't try to hide who he is at all, how he feels about it all.  I can't imagine anyone watching this wouldn't be at least somewhat infatuated with Woody.  The film captures not only every project he's ever worked on (I wasn't keeping a count but I'd be surprised if there were any missing), but it also captures so much about his personality, how he works, what's interesting to him about stories - why he keeps going the way he does.  The entire thing is completely inspirational and charming at the same time.  I'd like to think that the success of Midnight in Paris will get more people to watch this as well as look back at some of his earlier work.  A lot of people say it in here, but Woody Allen is without a peer when it comes to filmmaking.  Is he the best filmmaker ever?  That's far too subjective to answer - but very few, if any, have the body of work he does, and have it with such wonderful things.  Woody doesn't always make a great film, but he always goes for it - and hits more than he misses.  I think it's safe to say that I'd have a hard time working (respecting) with anyone who writes him off completely.  A living legend.  If you're not a fan, but would love to know where to look to become one let me know and I'll try to point you in the right direction! :)

No comments: