Saturday, December 22, 2012

1789 - Scrooged


I'm pretty predictable when it comes to my holiday viewing of cinema.  It's Muppets, this, and Elf which are always my staples.  In fact I raced around a few Christmases ago to find this on DVD.  We had a friend over tonight who'd never seen it and so it was my duty to make sure she had and I think she was enchanted by it as well.  It's amazing that this film is close to 25 years old - it easily still stands up today - the comedy is sharp - the heart intact.  I'd argue that the ending gets a taaaaad preachy at the very very end, but I can live with that.  I grew up with the TV version which was edited for time and content so it's still a tad odd for me to watch this as was originally intended - but I love it all the more.
If you've never seen this update on A Christmas Carol you're missing out especially if you're a comedy lover and enjoy Bill Murray.  The cast is loaded with strong performances.  I can't say that this is a film for the entire family - but teenagers could easily enjoy.

Seriously though - if you've never seen this before get on it before the holidays are over.  You'll thank me.

No comments: