Monday, April 08, 2013

1825 - The Great and Powerful Oz

I'm an Oz nerd.  Return to Oz was one of my favourite films as a kid - probably my favourite since I went down to the video store every week to rent it to the point where they finally just gave me the well-worn VHS.  The first of a, now large, film collection. 
So here we have a prequel of sorts - I'm pretty big on what Gregory Maguire did with the Oz story, so I'm going into this accepting something that's more align to Baum's canon.  It's the story of how the Wizard got to Oz.  First off, I was entertained the whole way through - I figured out where some stuff was going to go pretty quickly, but I also enjoyed the ride.  That being said, it felt a little like they were trying to be just a tinge too clever.  First, the world looks glorious, but I don't need a dozen spanning shots of CGI - I get it - Oz is magical.  Also it just felt like a few too many winks to the audience in terms of how many connections they made to the 1939 film, etc… it didn't feel like a film that could stand on it's own and become it's own classic.  It felt like it was trying to pay homage a little too much and came off as a bit of a a fan-film because of it.  I'd be interested to see if they continue with this as a series of films, but if I'm completely honest - I'm still looking forward to a film adaptation of Wicked.  If you like Oz stuff, it's a must see - especially in the theatres - there's some scary stuff for kids, so be wary of that.

No comments: