Saturday, October 17, 2009

1280 - Ghosts of Girlfriends Past


Jon Lucas and Scott Moore are the writers of this... film. You probably don't know who they are, but they're the guys behind last summers "The Hangover" which was a really great comedy. They also wrote "Four Christmases" (which I haven't seen), so they're basically the high-concept guys right now, and it sees to be serving them well. It doesn't however, keep this film from sucking. I'm sorry. I said it. And because I know a little bit about the process, I find it hard to blame these two guys - because they've clearly proven that they're good writers. I just can't bring myself to believe that they're behind this and to blame.
There are some decent jokes in this film, but it's always blunted by the fact that you're not quite sure what the tone is. It goes from slap-stick to edgy humor, and unfortunatly the two don't mix. If I'm to be completely honest the film feels like a lazy adaptation that could have been beaten out over the weekend, since it doesn't stray that far from it's source material and doesn't really try to do anything unique with it. The film feels like the first draft of a script/film that could have been really interesting. I hate throwing down the negative, but this film was pretty... not good.
If you want a special treat of bad, check out the song that was obviously written for the film that plays over the closing credits.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree 100% with your review; watched this the other night and it was horrible.