Wednesday, April 23, 2014

1988 - Hedwig & the Angry Inch


I'm putting together some stuff for a musical-esque project so this was a great back-ground watch.  I love the shit out of this film.  I was lucky enough to discover it first as a play, so I've been with this for a long time.  It's the story of a botched sex change and the rock music that came out of it - sounds bizarre, right?  It's so fucking awesome.  It's about soul mates and identity, it's about the muse, and the art.  It's visually arresting, and the music is so goddamn dynamic, and John Cameron Mitchell just knocks it all out of the park and creates one of the most amazing auteur films of all time.  It's a shame that he hasn't followed it up a whole lot - although his other film Rabbit Hole hit me really hard and is worth checking out as well!
If you like indie rock, and rock operas and you haven't seen this - do yourself a damn favor - it's excellent.

No comments: