Thursday, April 24, 2014

1992 - Back to the Future Part II


When I was a kid I loved this film - I remember even having the novelization.  There's a lot of me that does still love it - I love how it mixes the events of the first film into it's narrative and gives us a Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead kind of view of that.  That was super clever.  That said, the writing in this installment feels like it's someone else at the helm in a weird way.  Adding in stuff like Marty having an issue being called a chicken feels forced, especially given there was nothing of the like in the original which takes place a day prior to this film - Marty's issue there was his lack of confidence that he got from his father - so this is a bizarre bait and switch.  The film just has a much cheesier feel, and not always in a good way.  Don't get me wrong, I still like it a lot - it's near and dear to my heart - but it doesn't have the charm of the original.
And of course, as always happens when I re-watch the first film I'm going to go through all three of these bad boys now...

No comments: