Wednesday, April 06, 2011

1544 - Gamer

I wasn't sure what to expect from this film - I'd been recommended it by several sources.  This is such a wonderfully bizarre film.  On the surface it's about a criminal on death who is controlled as if he's a video game character in a bloodsport match - if he can survive thirty bouts, he'll be allowed parole. 
But underneath the surface this film is about our society - where we're at - hopefully not where we're going.  About our need to detach from our actual lives and live vicariously. 
It's over the top, it's satirical, but it's got a lot of truth bleeding out from it.  Full of some almost ridiculous moments - including a really wonderful song-and-dance number from Michael C. Hall.  If I'm being critical about it I think that the ending is a bit anti-climatic compared to how "big" other parts feel.  This is a big, fun film that's got some stuff to creep you out in terms of how close to reality this might be becoming.  This wouldn't be for everyone, but I think those who like it will like it a lot.  And that's all I have to say about that.
Gamer  Gamer [Blu-ray]

No comments: