Thursday, April 14, 2011

Fables #15: Rose Red

I've been following this series for quite some time now.  It's exciting to see it reaching it's 100th issue - and not only that but it has a spin-off series that's just reached it's 50th issue.  With a novel, and a television series in development with ABC it's safe to say that Fables has found it's place within the mainstream - and so it should.
For those just joining in Fables is the story of all of the fairy tale characters living in our modern day world - at least that's how it started out - and they've come a long way from there.  I really enjoyed this volume, and I think that Fables has done a pretty amazing job of keeping this series going with fresh life.  They could have easily ended it several volumes ago, but they had a lot more up their sleeve than that.  So far the only mis-step this series has taken was the ridiculous cross-over - but luckily you can just pluck that out.  The first volume to be directly named after a character I was happy to see one of my favorites get their groove back and just in time for shit to hit the fan - again.  If you're a fan of this series then you're going to pick this up anyway - but if you've never heard of it I promise you that it's worth the read.  It's ridiculously clever, lots of great humor to it, and every and then it just grabs you and takes on an emotional spin.  Of all the comics I've given for gifts, I think the first trade of this ranks amongst the top - and so it should.
Fables Vol. 15: Rose Red

No comments: