Friday, April 29, 2011

1555 - No Strings Attached

This is a film that I've been tracking for quite some time.  It was on the 2008 Black List (a list of favourite unproduced scripts) with it's original title "Fuckbuddies" and it was one of those scripts where you read it in one sitting and can't believe that any time had past at all.  It was the kind of script that made you jealous as shit that you hadn't written it - at least for me who is a relationship film nerd.
So given that I was so in love with the original script, how did it compare?  I have to say that it took me longer to get into it than I thought it would.  It is not a great first act and I don't know why - I think that that's probably what feels the most different from that beloved script, although that shouldn't matter - I think it just feels weird and awkward but not for any particular reason.  Clunky, maybe.  But when it starts to cook, it starts to cook and it turns into a really lovely little film.  It makes me especially happy for someone like Natalie Portman who has a film like this and Black Swan happening at the same time - lets us know that she's not going to take herself so uber seriously or just go after the kinds of films that she's "supposed" to make.  Ashton Kutcher is probably at his career best and I thought that the two worked off each other especially well.  It's a film filled with great writing and really lovely performances including one of my new favorites - Greta Gerwig, and someone I hadn't noticed before - Lake Bell.  And of course the always kick-ass Olivia Thirlby. 
If you like films about relationships this will be up your alley - it's not a raunch fest either - it's actually a really smart and sweet film that doesn't feel bad about being a little naughty as well.  Give it a shot, I say!
No Strings AttachedNo Strings Attached (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy)

No comments: