Monday, April 04, 2011

How to Talk to a Widower

In my mission to get through a stack of books that I've acquired over the years, but never actually read (from a pile that could probably kill me should it ever tip over) I'm finally getting through a bunch of stuff and realizing that I've been neglecting some pretty fantastic writing.
This book in particular I purchased on my honeymoon in a little bookstore in Halifax.  So it's been collecting dust for some time, sadly.  This is the kind of book that, part way through, I started sniffing around to see if the film and television rights were still available - only to discover that they were sold off for a million dollars - so that's that.
Just like the title states it's about a man dealing with great loss - but it's not a 'woe is me' type book.  It deals with the pain with a wonderful edginess and full of supporting characters that could each be the lead in their own novel.  As I was reading it I kept thinking - there is no way to make a movie out of it - it's just too damn full of rich characters and story.  If I had my druthers I'd develop it as a television series. 
Full to the brim with heart and humility and endless quotable dialogue Jonathon Tropper is a writer whose material I will seek out more of once I thin out my stack of books.  If you're looking for something that's not super heavy, but heartwarming and funny - this might just be the book for you.
How to Talk to a Widower: A Novel (Bantam Discovery)

No comments: