Tuesday, April 19, 2011

1552 - Avatar

I realize that I'm one of the last people in the world to have seen this film and that any kind of recommendation either way here is probably long past meaning anything.  But screw it, I'm here anyway :)
I thought this film looked stupid - I'll be honest.  I felt like the whole thing just looked like an excuse to make some pretty digital images and prove how innovative James Cameron is.  And I was pleasantly proved wrong.  I've also heard this film described as Dances with Wolves in space.  Which is funny, and not untrue.  Much as been said about it's "message" and so I don't really feel the need to echo on any of that.  I got over the non-realistic look of the film far quicker than I thought I would, and when the time came I thought that the live-action and CGI blended well.  In a time where most action films just let their third acts be wall to wall action, Avatar's action is emotional.  We watch characters we've come to love get their asses handed to them - and it's not pretty - a lot of people don't make it out alive.
So if you were like me and just assumed that this would just be another big empty film, think again.  Thank being said I really don't know what they would do to flesh this out into a trilogy.  I guess the humans will come back in bigger, stronger numbers... This time I'll try to see it in theatres :)
Avatar (Original Theatrical Edition)  Avatar (Three-Disc Extended Collector's Edition + BD-Live) [Blu-ray]  Avatar (Three-Disc Extended Collector's Edition)  Avatar (Two-Disc Original Theatrical Edition Blu-ray/DVD Combo)

No comments: