Tuesday, April 12, 2011

1550 - I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell

I first discovered Tucker Max in the early days (or at least my early days) of the internet.  It was more or less a live journal of Tucker's x-rated misadventures - and some of them are downright hilarious - in the 'thank god this didn't happen to me' variety. 
Out for a walk a year or so ago I saw that he'd put a collection of them into a book and picked it up on a whim - pure popcorn reading.  Again, entertaining, funny, and clever.  It was then that I saw they were making a film.  So the film is smart to find a way to group a bunch of the misadventures together into a bachelor party.  The casting of Matt Czuchry is wise as he's charismatic as hell and Tucker is a douchebag.  I think that the film, unwisely, tries to give him a traditional character arc where he sees the error of his ways and makes a big grandiose apology - but first of all, I don't buy for a second that he means it (and he doesn't) but secondly, words are cheap - actions speak.  He doesn't DO anything.  I'd rather just have seen an examination of a charismatic sociopath.  Alas.
I suppose this might be interesting for the college crowd - it's by no means a terrible film, it's just not a very good one.
I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell    I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell

No comments: