Friday, April 29, 2011

Top 10: book one

I was given this to read by my new comic friend.  I had no idea it even existed, and while I've read a decent amount of Alan Moore's work, I'm by no means an expert on his work - I daresay that I think this is probably his most accessible work that I've read.  I'll admit that it takes a little to get into - but that's mostly because it's a big complicated world and it just takes a little while to familiarize yourself - but once you do it's just fantastic.
The set-up is pretty awesome - after World War II when superheroes started to become a little more known the gov't designed a world just for them.  So fast forward to today where there's a plant inhabited entirely by super-humans, and other creatures with powers - and this series in particular follows their police force around.  There is so much fun to be had with this world - and Moore does a good job of mashing in the mundane - stuff like a couple in the background talking on the phone to their realtor about someone coming in to see their secret cave, etc... lots of little goodies like that happening in the background.  The series itself has a pretty small life, just two trade paperbacks and a few spin-offs - so as long as my comic buddy has them I'll give them a read - otherwise I may just try to pick them up myself. 
At a time where it seems like a lot of people are doing "commentary" on superheroes Moore manages to keep it fresh and exciting and well, well worth reading.
Top Ten (Book 1)

No comments: