Tuesday, July 02, 2013

1865 - All American Orgy


Okay.  I don't say this lightly, or easily.  This is not a good film.  Three couples, unhappy with their current relationships, decide that an orgy will fix all of their problems.  Originally this film had a more indie-friendly-title and that fits it a lot more, than the romp that they're trying to sell otherwise.  The film isn't particularly funny - the characters are all a little one-note.  All that I can take.  The biggest problem is that when the film gets around to the 'orgy' portion of the film it's a lot less fun sexy times, and a lot more… rapey…. yes.  That's what I said.  The most this film gets into an orgy is when one man, essentially, has another rape his wife while everyone watches.  Talk about a hilarious moment! (I'm kidding, obviously). 
Look.  I'm no prude, I like my comedy dark and edgy, but this was just awkward and weird and uncomfortable.  Even outside of this the film had a creepy feeling to it.  The characters aren't exactly the kind that you root for, to are about to change, and so you have to ask yourself - why do I care about them - why am I watching this?!  I watched this as a reference film, and I have to say it made me feel a lot better about what I'm working on.  I can't even casually recommend this as an off-shoot.  There is no good reason to watch this film, sadly.  It's just… ugly.  If that's your thing, then maybe you'll be into it. 

No comments: