Friday, July 05, 2013

1869 - Raising Hope: seasons 1 & 2


Somehow I forgot (I think) to write about the first season of the show here.  This is a show that my wife and I watch when we just want to veg.  That's not giving it a lot of credit because we quite enjoy it - it's charming, funny, and has some strong characters.  I like Garcia's previous show "My Name is Earl" but I found the premise limiting to a degree - so I really like the openness here.  He took the tone from that show and allowed himself a more open ended premise and really trusted his character work and I think it's paid off quite well.
For those who haven't seen it yet, it's about a young man who impregnates a serial killer right before she's caught, and then has to raise the baby with his inept family.  Beautiful.
The show is on Netflix, the first two seasons anyway, so it's easy to catch up to.  If you like comedy that has fun with randomness, but also has a heart to it, this will be right up your alley.

No comments: